Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A-pathetic Mumbai ?

I love Mumbai. If not for the humidity, I can never think of leaving Mumbai. Ever!


But then no city is perfect - we have terrorist attacks after every six-seven months (we're used to it - the "power" of being a Mumbaikar), we have lots and lots of people (and no infra), no water, too much sweat and body odor, the largest slum, Raj Thakerey and many such small problems (Oops! I like Raj Thackerey...I swear!)


But we also have the "Mumbai" value of being safe (minus the bomb attacks - compared to other cities), and helpful. That is not what I saw few days back. I saw an old man being humiliated, dragged on the station by some hooligans and I, along with many others, watching "helplessly"!


Here's what happened. I was getting late for the office where I am doing my interns and I missed the Bhayander Local of 8:25 am(that starts from bhayander and is supposed to have less crowd and more comfort ). Standing on the other platform I was waiting for another train which was coming from Virar (the train comes on the bhayander platform at 8:21) and I was waiting for it because I did not get the chance to enter the local (so much for comfort, Ha!). The train came and i saw a group of people standing on the gate blocking it so that no one from Bhayander enters it. You must be wondering why! This is because we have a local at 8:25 and so we should not enter in any other train at that time - this is the mentality of the train travellers!


I saw this and backed out. I know there was no chance for me to enter in it. But then i saw an old man in his 50s trying to fight through the group and enter the train. The result he got in an altercation with the gang. And he tried to hit one of them with his bag (his mistake, i agree). That was all that was needed for those goondas. One of them grabbed the bag, the other grabbed the old man by wrapping his arm around his neck and waitied for the train to start. nobody! NOBODY (in caps) came to help him...not even me!


The train started and the old man was dragged almost 10-15 steps before the guy let loose of his neck. they threw his bag and shouting obscenities they left - enjoying one more day! (i wonder, if the old guy might have lost his balance and fell between the gap between the platform and the train - God knows what would have happened)


And now comes the best part - all others watching the drama now came down and started shouting and abusing and making plans to take revenge of the oldy's humiliation (which i know are just talks - total bullshit some of it!). the next train came and everyone went back to their offices talkin about this to their colleagues and may be adding that they must have fought and kicked some asses, etc!


I really felt bad that day, i still do. And the thing that makes it worse is that we have grown to this humiliation now. It doesn't bother 90% of us. Has Mumbai lost those values due to the constant terrorist attacks and have become immune to all these, or are we just so busy and so much money oriented now that a human's life is no lonfer important to us! ?


I just hope it doesn't happen again - atleast not in front of me!


Adios.


Regards,

Kunal Lodha

1 comment:

  1. hey its good dat atleast u observing and tinkinng over it....bt i tink people are too busy wid their own probs so much dat dey hardly notice arndn less coifidence...n as u said der wer many taks after d old man's tragedy..n it remains taks cz ppl hv paid jus a 1% observation n nuthin else to d whole situation...n i kno wen u wnt do sumting n cnt do hw bad u feel...bt one ting hope dat it doesnt happen wid sumone else ..bt dnt hope dat atleast it shudnt happpen in front of u....dats d wrost u cn do..escaping..atleast der will b a single day wen u get d courage to help dem..ull b lucky den..

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger